These tips are based on notes I had taken some time back.I think it is from a book written by Kris Cole.
- Take responsibility for being happy, achieving your goals and enjoying your life instead of blaming others.
- Think positive thoughts and feelings that build confidence- Feel good and competent instead of focusing on your faults
- Associate with people who have a high self esteem- those who make you feel good about yourself instead of hanging out with losers.
- Participate in activities that you enjoy instead of sitting at home.
- Look for something likable in yourself and in everyone you know and meet instead of being critical of yourself and others.
- Live in the present; not in the past or future.
- Do whatever you can to develop your talents and skills ( read, attend seminars, learn from others etc) instead of saying "I can't do this"or I don't know anything about this."
- Acknowledge and celebrate your achievements and success instead of focusing on failures.
- Take care of yourself instead of over eating, over drinking or not exercising.
- Accept another's compliments with a thank you! Enjoy praise without embarrassment instead of saying "Oh its nothing really.."
Our self image flows from our self esteem. This is exhibited in the way we dress, the way we carry ourselves, in the amount and type of eye contact we make, the way we sit etc. Self esteem and self image together set up the communication rhythm.
Another important factor in this connection is our self talk. We talk to ourselves 50000 times a day. This reflects directly our self esteem and self image and strongly influences our day to day behaviour. It can serve as a support or end up as sabotage- "I must be careful not to trip Vs I will remember to step over this."Ensure that your self talk is positive most of the time.